Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Jun 2005 23:02:34 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Let me introduce myself- finally!
Comments: To: Lisa Bliss <blissx3@EARTHLINK.NET>

I'm sorry to hear of your addiction. :p

Cooling the fridge on AC (I just do it overnight), will 1) demonstrate that your fridge is working, and 2) save you some time down the road. Some folks never use the battery, but it is wise to run the fridge on battery when travelling down the road (especially when stopping for refueling.

At least on mine, the instructions for lighting the fridge are right there on the door panel. However, different switches are on different years, so it helps to know what year you have. Doh! There it is at the end of your message. 1987.

Okay, that's a late model. Easy enough then.

Open the door on the fridge. At the top you'll see a bunch of things. Working from left to right.

Round thing. This is the handle for the air pump. Just used to put air into the burner when initially lighting the fridge. It just pulls out and pushes in.

Small round button. This is a button used to help get extra fuel into the burner when first lighting the fridge. You'll push it in, when instructed. Most times you'll leave it alone.

Round Dial. This is the thermostat to control temperature inside the fridge. Most folks turn it all the way clockwise. All the way counter-clockwise will turn it off. This thermostat is only useful if running on propane or AC (not used when running on the auxillary battery).

Another Round Dial. This is the inside on/off switch for the propane feed to the fridge. All the way (1/4 turn) to the counterclockwise, will turn it on. Anything else will be off.

Square red plastic (sort of reflector like). This has a light behind it. It will flash when the piezo electric igniter is trying to light the fridge. If it is on solid, you need maintenance on your fridge. Most of the times it is off.

3 square buttons. Only one can be in at a time. Left most is depressed when you want to run on AC. Middle is depressed when you want to run on Battery. Right most is when you want to run on Propane.

Instructions for lighting the fridge.

First get propane in the tank. They should know how to fill it. They might not like to, but that's neither here or there. You can't get this done at your local Home Depot. Go to a real propane supply place. You'll be able to run a couple of weeks on a full tank of propane. You'll only get about 2.5 gallons (max) of propane in the tank. Refilling shouldn't cost you more than $10 (and probably less).

On the external propane tank is a valve to supply propane to the devices inside. This is a standard valve. Turn it counterclockwise to open. Turn it clockwise to close (righty tighty, lefty loosey).

Now, inside. I like to light one of the burner to verify I've open the valve properly. Then I shut it off. Otherwise... Turn on the propane switch on the fridge. Turn on the thermostat (manual says to minimum, I never listen). Pump the air pump a few times. Push the far right (propane) button. The RED light should start flashing. Push and hold the small round button. The light should go out. Hold that button down for 30 seconds. You might pump the air pump a few more times, but it usually isn't needed. Release the small round button. The square red light should remain out.

Above (outside the fridge), you should have a little display with a switch on it and a collection of LEDs. Turn the switch on. Several LEDs should light up (showing the battery power, level of water in the water tank and, finally, the bottom most LED on the left, indicated with a little snowflake, should light up when the propane on the fridge is lit. This may be hard to see in bright sunlight (some of us have replaced that green LED with a brighter blue one.)