Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:04:49 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Let me introduce myself- finally!
Comments: To: Lisa Bliss <blissx3@EARTHLINK.NET>

I think it takes a lot of courage for a non mechanical person to buy an 18 year old vehicle and embark on a 1,600 mile trip through the mountains. Even if this is a low mileage vehicle, there are many parts that can fail due to age. Particularly the hoses and suspension bushings. Before the trip-consider the following:

Tires- Are they in good condition and the proper type? If the van has sat a lot, they should be replaced if over 5 years old regardless of tread. Make sure they are rated to at least 44 psi inflation pressure.

Brakes- Can't say enough here. Have the fluid changed, make sure the shoes and pads are good and the drums and rotors have not been cut beyond their limits. Quality pads and shoes are extremely important for these brakes to work right. Carefully inspect brake hoses. Also, flush old fluid out of clutch cylinders. Change power steering fluid and filter. Synthetic ATF works best.

Suspension-have front checked carefully. Front radius rod bushings often need replacement.

Engine- Have compression, leak-down, and oil pressure tests done. Oil change, Mobil 1 15w-50. Transmission- manual or auto- change fluid or fluids. Again, I like synthetics. Check operation. If manual, should not make any grinding crunching noises when shifting. If shifter moves in third gear when throttle is applied or released, indicates main bearing and gear carrier housing may be failing. Have CV joints checked and re-greased if not done recently. Service front/rear wheel bearings.

Cooling system-Thoroughly inspect all hoses and connections. If main coolant pipes to radiator have not been changed, have the hoses pulled and the pipes inspected for the ends cracking. Replace them if needed. 87 still used screw type hose clamps. Replace with the spring type clamps. These allow for expansion without crushing the hoses or cracking the pipe ends. Check the tees to the rear heater core. The replacements are plastic. If you get any weird smells in the van, you probably need new heater cores. Inspect the radiator. They not only clog but they can crack internally letting coolant go from the feed to the return without actually traveling through. If the water pump is approaching 60K, replace it.

As for the fridge, it really works best on propane. The 12 volt only works when the engine is running and the performance is such, the thermostat is not even used on 12 volt. 110v is convenient if at a campground with hookups. The fridge should stay lighted while driving, if not something is wrong. Be sure to turn off the propane when refueling in case of a spill.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

Hi friends,

I have been lurking around here for about a month and I guess it is time to introduce myself! First I was waiting for our westy purchase to go through. The seller was reluctant to part with it and now that we have officially adopted it, I think I understand why. I love it!!! My friends love it!!! My kid loves it!

I am about to embark with my 7 year old daughter on a trip from Atlanta to Crested Butte, Colorado to visit a friend and bum around camping for the month of July. It was just going to be me and my daughter but my friend's brother is now coming along for the drive from Atlanta to Colorado. I am quite happy to have the company and the know how as he is an excellent outdoorsman. Husband will join us for a week at some point, but except for my passenger on the first leg I am going to be on my own.

My van did not come with any manuals so I bought one on ebay for vanagons. I need to get my hands on instructions for the fridge and stove - I have no idea how to light these things and I think I will need some help. Does anybody know where to get instructions for how to light these two things?

If I understand correctly, I should first cool the fridge for 24 hours on electric power and then switch to auxillary battery? Only power it with propane if going to be settled in one spot for the whole time?

The van is at the mechanic now getting some things taken care of before the trip. Because I am going to high altitude, should I ask the mechanic to adjust for this??

I have appreciated the suggestions on the list about what to pack and I am going to track down the list of repair shops between here and there if the need should arise. I have some extra belts. Gathering my other must have and like to have supplies and emergency items. Really looking forward to hitting the road for 4 weeks and hope that I meet some of you out there.

Happy trails to all -

Lisa Bliss 1987 Westy "Bree"