Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2005 13:00:14 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Let me introduce myself- finally!
Comments: To: Lisa Bliss <blissx3@EARTHLINK.NET>

Lisa, one more thing.........

You are going to discover that in time you will know more about your van than just about any mechanic out there. This is both a blessing and a curse. The curse side is that you are going to go through a learning curve, some of which will involve mechanics that screw up your van and you have to have things corrected - part of your learning curve. The blessing side is that you will accumulate a mass of kowledge from which you can draw and then direct unknowing mechanics in getting the job done right, whatever it is. You will also be able to tell when work done has been done right.

Most mechanics are diligent guys and gals who really want to do good work. They have a good background in mechanics - systems etc, they just don't know your particular vehicle. Your insightful understanding of your van will enable you to be of significant assistance to anyone working on your van.

A lot of garages won't work on Vanagons simply because they are an unknown, and LOOK complicated. Truth is, they are really simple machines, and once past the intimidation factor the vans present, they are easy. You do need a good toolbox, but the work is not that difficult.

When you do tasks on your van, there come's with it a great satisfaction and peace of mind. You KNOW what was done, how well it was done, and can anticipate what might come of the work at a later time. Those things are worth a lot!!

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL driver