Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:30:47 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Adding a 2nd Battery; which relay terminal.. Now : ( long)
Comments: To: Robert Rountree <syncro87@HOTMAIL.COM>

One thing I would spell out more explicitly than you did is that this arrangement allows the fridge to run off the aux battery even when the engine is off. It will possibly fully drain the aux battery in a single night of camping. Not what I would want to do, for sure. On my 87 Syncro Camper I wired a separate red led next to the Westy LED panel and hooked it to the 12 volt heating element in the fridge. This way I always know for sure when it is running on 12 volts, without opening the fridge to check the selector switch position, and while camped I notice right away if I have left it on 12 volts after lighting the propane pilot. The fridge will light and run on propane even if it is also running on 12 volts or 120 volts. This is a bad thing to do but because running on propane requires no electricity VW could not easily lock out propane mode when electric mode is selected. The operator must ensure that both modes are not in operation at the same time.

Mark