Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:11:39 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot Awning

Thanks for your enthusiastic review of our Ezy-Awning, Jim! I have been using one myself for two years now, so as they say, I'm not just the owner, I'm also a client. :-)

To answer the various questions/issues that were raised, based on my own experience using this awning...

First of all, regarding John's question about how the awning looks when stowed in the driving position, there really is no "driving position." This awning doesn't stay up when you drive, nor do you have to drill anything to your Vanagon to mount it. That's what makes it unique. It fits in a bag about the size of one of those "folding-chairs-in-a-bag" when not in use, so you can just stow it under your back seat and have it handy for whenever you need it. It takes all of about 5 minutes to put up (a bit longer the first time or two, but you get used to it quickly), attaching via a pole that sits in your rain gutter just like a Vanagon side tent does. (We also have a no-drill mounting option for Eurovans, which also works on non-VW vehicles like SUV's, pickup trucks, minivans, etc.)

As for wind and awnings, as John pointed out, any awning can suddenly become a huge sail if the wind hits it just right (even a $2000 one, as Robert learned the hard way). However, like Jim, I have used my Ezy-Awning during gusty storms with no problems. That said, there is always the risk of a serious wind gust lifting up any awning, so if the wind starts getting really nasty, or if I'm leaving the van (or going to sleep) and there are heavy winds forecast, I usually drop one side of it until I return. Since the two legs retract, you can simply drop one side of the awning so it is near the ground, with the other side still full-height and attached to the van's rain gutter. This greatly reduces the chance of a wind getting under it, and also provides better rain cover for any belongings that are stowed under it. It takes less than a minute to drop one side and then raise it back up again.

Regarding the supporting poles, they are as heavy duty as they could be without being cumbersome. In fact, for each comment I get from someone who wishes they were heavier, I get another from someone who wishes they were lighter, so I guess you can't please everyone. In any case I have seen permanent-mount awnings that are not as well supported as this one. On the other hand, the poles that go across the awning itself are lightweight fiberglass, which is made possible by the fact that the awning has a dome contour. This slight dome shape prevents "rain sag," so those poles don't have to be weight bearing. The result is more stability with less weight/bulk.

If I were going to find a fault with the Ezy-Awning, having used it for a couple of years now, it's that the poles that go in the rain gutter and across from it (not the ones that hold it up) are a tad longer than necessary. They're supposed to pull the awning taut (creating the dome shape), but IMHO they could easily have been a couple of inches shorter and still accomplished this. As it is they just barely fit; if you try to fold the pockets over them, one pocket tends to unfold after a while or else the pole bows just slightly. (If you have seen or used one this would make more sense to you.) This hasn't bothered me and doesn't hurt the awning's functionality, as even if you don't fold one pocket over there really isn't anywhere for the pole to go. But I have had a couple of customers who actually opted to just saw off a couple of inches of the pole to make it better fit into the pocket. If we ever come out with an Ezy-Awning II, maybe we'll shorten the pole a tad.

As for the issue of awning versus tent, to me they have completely different uses. If my family is camping in the same place for a few days, we set up our side tent. (I have an older frame-style tent very similar to the Hanover tent that we sell now.) It provides not just shade but two rooms as well. We use the sleeping/changing room to store our coolers, junk, etc. so we're not tripping on them in the van, and set up a couple of chairs and a small table in the main section. Since one wall opens up, it acts like an awning when desired, or we can close it when we want privacy. But for a quick day or overnight trip, the tent is overkill, and too much of a hassle to set up. That's where the Ezy-Awning comes in useful. It's up and down in all of 15 minutes, and always handy under my back seat, so we can put it up or down on a whim. There have been many occasions where I'd never have bothered setting up a whole tent, but was really glad I had the awning handy.

The Ezy-Awning is a unique approach to Vanagon awnings. It's the only awning that does what it does, for anywhere near its price. This doesn't mean it's for everybody. Some prefer an awning that permanently attaches to the van, and/or are willing to pay several times more than the Ezy-Awning costs. Personally, I don't use an awning enough to want to have one forever bolted to my van like an appendage, nor to shell out $500 to $800 for one. For around $150, the Ezy-Awning is an affordable solution that's there when I need it, gone when I don't. And while it may not be built as well as a $700 awning, it's built well enough that I'm on my third year using it now, and I'm guessing it's probably good for three more. If so, it works out to $25 a year, which is an expense that I can easily justify. Put simply, it's all the awning I need or want.

You can see more at: <http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp>

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT