Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:05:09 -0700
From:         Ed Wiebe <wiebeis@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Oil light/Buzzer warning system - revisited and longish

I know this topic has pretty well been flogged to death, but I would like to relate my experience and solution. Using my 90 Westy (Homey) as a daily commuter between Victoria (BC) and Shawnigan Lake on the way home I could predict reliably where my light/buzzer would come on. The commute involves going over part of the Malahat - this is about 10 Kilometers starting at sea level, rising about 500 meters. This is a bit of a challenge for a Westy at highway speeds. I make a left turn off the highway to a slight downhill side road. As I shift through the gears and get to 4th gear at 2000rpm the familiar light/noise starts. The first few times I do like we all have done - panic! Everything checks out OK and I start up again and no more warning. After a few more times, I turn off the ignition to shut off the warning and engine - coast downhill for a few seconds -start up the engine and continue on my way with no light/buzzer going. I have owned this Westy for about 2 years and was quite concerned about it's oil consumption and therefore very diligently checked it and topped it up to the full mark when it showed about midpoint on the dipstick. To add to this situation I usually checked the oil level at home where the van is parked with the front downhill. This makes the dipstick show a level lower than it really is. A while back on the list I read where the 2.1L engine has a problem with oil foaming when the engine is overfilled. I started checking oil level only when the van is on level ground. I don't add oil until the level is on the low level mark and then fill only to the mid point of the dipstick. It has been months since my oil light/buzzer has come on and I am losing very little oil. This worked for me, it may not solve your problem. This is just another point to consider when you have to deal with this pesky problem. I have followed this list for over a year now and I want to thank all you regulars and venders for sharing your wisdom with all of us.I also think our moderator is doing a great job at keeping everyone on the straight and narrow. Sorry for being so verbose.

Ed