Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 6 Jun 2005 14:27:31 -0700
From:         Stephen DeMocko <SDeMocko@FDSMFG.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lighthearted Vanagon content - Boy or Girl?

Trina, I hope I don't offend by attaching my own question thread onto yours, but it seemed the right time. I have been meaning to ask for quite some time. When I joined the site I noticed that a lot of people included the name of there van somewhere in the e-mail. So I thought, and quickly had the perfect name for my '85 Westy "Luci". I thought it would be fun to tell how some of those names came to be. I bought Luci (Girl) back in Oct. I wish I had known more about vanagons and this website, because I had nothing but problems. I took the PO's word that all the camping equipment worked, it didn't. He said the smog certificate was in the glove box, it was expired, and of course it didn't pass the first time. He said it ran great, blown head gasket only shows up after 40 min drive. Any way lots of money spent replacing everything in the cooling system. Lots of time wasted replacing parts. I only found this web site after. The perfect name came to me as Lucifer. To answer Trina's question I changed the name to Luci, female because one I think naming your things female goes back to some rule in the olden days of sail ships, and two you are more likely to name in the opposite sex as yourself. For the last few months no problems, and I am starting to have the fun I was hoping for. I think many of you must have interesting stories how your vans got their names, and I would like to hear them.

Thanks, Stephen DeMocko ('85 westy Luc')

-----Original Message----- From: Trina Lindal [mailto:digidoll@COMCAST.NET] Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 12:31 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Lighthearted Vanagon content - Boy or Girl?

Anyone else out there refer to their V'gon as a boy? I know the tradition is to call all things mechanical (cars, boats, etc) "she," but to me, my van is a "he" - nothing feminine about him.

I'm sure Greg Potts' **Bob the Tomato** is a boy... or maybe not?

/Trina '91 Multivan "Blue" (definitely a boy's name)