Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 7 Jun 2005 11:48:30 -0400
From:         ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: oops, more questions on O2 sensors
Comments: cc: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Dennis

I told Joy to run the engine without the sensor plugged because of the typical rich running, new sealants and the assembly oil burning off that goes on with a new engine start up. It is common place to run a new engine with the 02 sensor unplugged. The 02 sensor often fouls out on new engine start up BUT if left unplugged they can have a chance to burn off any built up soot and work fine after that. Replacing the 02 sensor into a already fouled out exhaust will result in a fouled 02 sensor so sometimes there is no option but run it with it disconnected. Having spoken with Joy about her fuel mileage I feel that its not running rich or mistuned To the best of my understanding it does not affect the cat unless the cat is getting over whelmed with to much unburned fuel the purpose of the 02 sensor is to trim the mixture fine tune it. Many a van has run for years without the 02 sensor connected I think your 02 sensor is grounding out or junk and making the engine run rich when connected. If it is bad it would have eaten the engine by now the fellas that put the engine in did a great job but they might not have seen this problem so this was a good move I have as known good used unit if you have a place that I can ship it to at no charge

going faster miles an hour with my oxygen sensor disconnected

I remain

Bob Donalds Boston Engine Exchange 1 508 358 6264

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Haynes" <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 06, 2005 11:50 PM Subject: Re: oops, more questions on O2 sensors