Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2005 01:25:03 EDT
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Lighthearted Vanagon content - Boy or Girl? / Peh-leeeez,
              Kill Me

In a message dated 6/6/05 3:38:33 PM, digidoll@COMCAST.NET writes:

<< Anyone else out there refer to their V'gon as a boy? I know the tradition is

to call all things mechanical (cars, boats, etc) "she," but to me, my van is

a "he" - nothing feminine about him. >>

Now, this is a perfect example why there is no such thing as a Vanagon List Archive. Let's just refer to it what it is --- a data dump. And, even that is using the word "data" as loosely as possible.

The Vanagon "Archive" makes me think of my Sweetheart. She just had to have a file cabinet. I told her to use the single, full-depth file drawer of my drawing table since I no longer had it filled with the plans for the flux capacitor. She said that was not NEARLY big enough to contain all her vital documents. She wanted a four drawer, full-depth office filing cabinet. I dragged my feet on that number until I came across a nice three drawer, pistachio-colored Steelcase file. She didn't appreciate my downsizing her specifications, but I knew she would be a sucker for the color.

A couple of weeks ago I figured that since that hulking file cabinet is sitting there anyway, I might as well stick a couple of things into it. One thing was a single expandable file envelope which contained every warranty and user instruction sheet from every power tool or household gadget which has come into my house in the past 20 years, three to four inches of the stuff. I knew as soon as I felt the inertia of rest of the top drawer of Big Green that there was no point in using that level. I took the escalator down one story only to find the same Tokyo-subway-at-rush-hour conditions. In a panic, I ran down the stairs to the bottom level, but I stopped short of opening the drawer whenever I saw the "NO VACANCY" sign.

To gain accommodations in my Sweetheart's archive, I did the unseemly thing of purging some of her vital files while she was sound asleep with our pugs snuggled to her. All that I had to remove were the programs she had saved over the past dozen years from an annual amateur production of "The Nutcracker" in which a niece's name appears.

The way they are now, the Vanagon Archives are like Fibber McGee's closet (do a web search): whenever you open the door, God-knows-what will tumble onto you. The Nutcracker programs need to be purged or, better yet, never saved in the first place.

George