Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:36:13 -0700
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Suggestions for Fuel expansion tank hose repair?
Comments: To: Adam Thacker <87westy@THACKER.CA>

You can replace it with out dropping the tank. it takes about 30 min.

1. get the new part. I got mine about a year ago for $25 from the dealer (Ron or ken... may be cheaper) 2. attach new vapor lines to the T-line and tie a sting to it. (long enough to go across the whole van (plus) 3. use a flat bar (this is the short flat cropw bar you find at the hardware stores) to pop the T-line out tof the tank. 4. you may need a long stick to releast the middle of the T-line from it's middle support. 5. tie one end of the new T-line string to the old one and plull it out (this will pull the sting through) 6. Reach on top of the tank with your hand (a very tight fit to get in but plenty of working room once in) with a small screw driver and remove the grommets and put in new grommets and put and use a little dish soap to lub the hole. 7. pull the string through with the new T-line attached, align, and use the flat bar to push into the grommet. 8. reattach vapor lines and your done.

Jere

-----Original Message----- From: Adam Thacker <87westy@THACKER.CA> Sent: Jun 11, 2005 11:16 AM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Suggestions for Fuel expansion tank hose repair?

I came across a leak the other day and traced it to a rotten hose on the right side attached to the expansion tank. As I worked away on the one at the "T" the other hose from the expansion tank broke off where I could not see to replace it. My question is.. Is there a way or a trick to getting at the connections under the tank without dropping the tank? If not.. Are there any suggestions on how to drop the tank with as little grief as possible from someone who has done it in the past. I was also wondering what problems will arise from this leak in the system? It seems to be working ok right now. As long as I don't' fill up.

Adam Thacker 87 Westfalia GL - I am beginning to show initial signs of "THE SYNDROME"