Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Jun 2005 11:15:30 -0700
From:         Dyer Lytle <dyer@LPL.ARIZONA.EDU>
Subject:      Rotten Head Studs (and names)

Hi all,

I thought I should post something to the list as I have finally moved forward a little bit on my WBX rebuild. I may have reported before that the failure that led to this rebuild was the breakage of a cylinder head stud and the various leaks that ensued. I took a chance that the other head studs were OK and began reassembling the engine last fall only to have another head stud break when torquing down the 1-3 cylinder head.

I decided to replace all of the head studs because they were all now suspect. Getting rotten head studs out of the engine case is non-trivial. I managed to remove 9 of 16 studs. The other 7 just kept breaking further down the shanks as I welded nuts on the end and attempted removal. Last week I sent the case to "Jerry's Broken Drill and Tap Removal" in Santa Ana, California. I boxed up the engine case with lots of packing material in a sturdy cardboard box and sent it via DHL ground. It weighed 53 pounds all together and cost $27 from Tucson, AZ and made it in two days.

I'll let you all know what the cost for the stud removal turns out to be and also how the engine reassembly goes when I get the new studs in.

By the way, for reasons I don't understand entirely, the right front hubcap on my '66 standard bus is named "Carl".

-Dyer Lytle in Tucson