Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Jun 2005 19:58:05 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Cheap mechanics
Comments: To: Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>

In a Syncro, that fuel tank sender ground point is back in the engine compartment, below the ignition coil, on a bolt with some other grounds as well.. There is a small bundle with 2 brown wires ending in a ring connector. One of the 2 browns is the ground for the fuel sender and the other is the ground for the 3 diff lock connectors that all Syncros have. The fuel gauge wires and diff lock wires are together in a separate small bundle by themselves as part of the wiring differences between a Syncro and 2wd.

I have seen that engine compartment sender/locker ground get messed up 2 ways. One was in an engine conversion where it's purpose was not known and the ground was not reconnected. The other was in an effort to get the driveshaft decoupler switch wired in by an improper splicing under the Syncro instead of locating the existing connector. That decoupler connector can be a bear to locate.

By the way, if you look at page 97.109 of the Bentley there is an asterisk and note describing the location of the Syncro fuel sender ground point. This is the 1987 main diagram but for some reason the note is missing from all other year diagrams.

Mark