Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Jun 2005 19:10:02 -0700
From:         kevin obrien <kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Strange, brief venting of coolant...? Advice  sought.

Hello All:

Today I travelled about a mile uphill in my 1990 Carat and pulled over to make a phone call. As I sat idleing I noticed my red coolant light began blinking. I checked the coolant temp gauge and it was reading normal.

I turned off the engine, made my call and started her back up. No more blinking light and all seemed normal....temp gauge reading ok, etc.

I drove about a half hour...went up a small hill...stopped at a bank. Sat for a minute and started her back up and noticed steam coming out of the rear air scoop...and coolant on the ground. Temp gauge read normal.

I looked in the engine compartment and saw some coolant had dripped down...but none spraying about, etc. Not clear where it came from.

Anyway...started her back up...drove up a LONG 5 mile hill....watched my coolant temp gauge...it never moved above the red light (ie: normal). No sign of any more coolant. No blinking light. No sign of overheating.

I don't know if this is relevent : I had my oil & filter changed the other day (Castrol 20/50 and a Mann oil filter) and the only thing I've noticed is the reading on my VDO Oil Temp gauge is reading slightly higher than it used to on hills.

VDO Oil Pressure gauge is reading normal. Engine power/performance seems fine...and as I said ...no sign of overheating at all according to my coolant temp gauge.

Any ideas as to why the coolant leaked?

Thanks Kevin