Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Jun 2005 20:30:22 -0600
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: help w/ charging/fi
Comments: To: dusty.edwards@MAC.COM

> i bought the vehicle last summer and had it charged last summer by Ken > Morgan, here in Denver..........for those of you that are familiar w/ > Denver area mechanics. i don't remember much about my conversation w/ > Ken in regard to this job, but i do remember him telling me that he was > going to put a vacuum on the unit to extract whatever was already in > there - he then filled it (with whatever) and i paid him about $75...i > think. > > so, i pose two questions: > > 1. is there a way to tell if the system has been converted? > > 2. is there a chance that Ken filled the unit w/ R-134 (after vacuuming > or cleaning it) to run off of the original system? (would R-134 even > work in the old (unconverted) system?) ...if so, can i just refill the > system w/ R-134?

Dusty:

With Ken Morgan, you cannot tell anything! But given the price difference 'twixt R12 and R134a, you can probably assume that you have been converted. When you are on your knees preying, or praying, how does it feel? ;-) Nobody I have talked to will fill with R12 anymore.

I took my '87 to be "fixed" recently to a reputable place in Boulder. I bought it in '01 and it had been stored at least a year. The AC had not worked since I bought it. That is five years to leak out.

They put a small charge of old R12 in it, checked that it was working and not leaking. Then they "converted" it to R134a--evacuate, vacuum, new fittings, oil, dye, etc, etc. Then charged it with R134a. It does not leak, is cold, and seems fine so far. I quizzed them about a new receiver/dryer and seals in the compressor. They didn't seem worried. They said after a few years experience, they didn't think they should be changed. Of course, this is 5,280' elevation with low humidity.... They guarantee their work, so we'll so. Of course, they have to follow EPA guidelines, rules, etc. Total cost was about $375.

All this, just FYI.

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado