Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2005 07:23:25 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Weird radio problem
Comments: To: briwasson@VERIZON.NET

Cell phone chargers usually use little switch mode power supplies to convert the car's 12VDC to whatever the phone wants. These SM supplies can generate a lot of radio frequency interference. In the case of FM, a loud signal causes the internal circuitry to reduce volume level, and it might be blanketing the signal you want to hear.

Your radio is either receiving this interference through the antenna, or through its 12V power supply wire.

If the former, there is little you can do except try to find a quieter charger. If the latter, then your car audio shops might have interference filters you can install on the 12V supply wire to the radio, and to the cigarette lighter socket. Come to think of it, if wire going from the charger to the cell phone is acting as an antenna for the noise, the boys at your car audio shop might have some kind of clamp-on filter you can wrap around the charger cable at the plug end to block from going down the cable and radiating all over the place. I'd go talk to those boys.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") Carlsbad, CA KG6RCR