Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:52:32 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Compressor on r134a system
Comments: To: "Craig, Jim M. {PCNA}" <Jim.M.Craig@PEPSI.COM>

Okay. When you open up the AC system, you'll need to evacuate it again, afterwards. So you'll need a vacuum pump. I got one from Bestech (<http://www.bestechind.com>)

You'll need a set up gauges, and you'll need to make sure the fittings on the vacuum lines to the guages match that which you have on your vacuum pump, the AC fittings on your engine, and the refrigerant taps you use.

Since yours was converted to R134a, you'll probably have quick disconnects on the high and low side fittings.

Technically it is illegal to vent HCFC (aka R134a) refrigerant. I often wonder if a leak in an AC system could get you fined?

So, after getting all the good stuff, you'll need to pull a vacuum. Then you can add refrigerant.

How fast you leak refrigerant depends on where the leak is. It sounds like the shop you went to already checked things out (probably put dye in the system to find the leak. But do not disconnect the refrigerant hoses until have had a chance to check the pressure in the system. It's not a good idea to disconnect pressurized systems. If there is any R134 in the system, you should have a shop recover it prior to opening up the system.

Once you have replaced the compressor you will likely have to add some oil to the compressor. The bentley has the info for the R12 system. Other than the type of oil, the quantities are probably similar (I have never replaced a compressor.)