Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2005 18:12:09 -0700
From:         stacy beard <stacybeard@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      My First Westy!

Hello folks, After years of wanting one, I finally bought my first Westy (and first VW) a few weeks ago - a dream come true! It is a 1983 Vanagon Westfalia Pop-Top, green, named "the Westy" (no, not very original). Here's a link to photos: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=1309pjkb.2hwt7yvv&x=0&y=-a5h9op So far I have camped at a state park in Northern California (the night I bought it, awesome!) and the following weekend surprising friends who flew in for a trip to Yosemite - a great surprise and a great trip! I have been lurking on the list a couple of weeks now, not understanding much, but learning some and enjoying the community. It is much more active than I expected! Anyway, I thought folks might be willing to share tips about some things I might want to fix. I would only do the work on very easy items - all else will go to Fred's Garage in Redwood City, CA. I have seen reference to an archive, but am not sure what archive people are referring to - please direct me there! I have also found a lot of great links. Here's what I know or have noticed since buying:

- Northern California vehicle, no rust. - Original air-cooled engine. 70 mph on the highway, 30-35 up steeper hills (think Yosemite) - Broken odometer @ just over 110K, estimated mileage 118K. Do you recommend getting it fixed? I'd kind of like to watch the mileage rack up :-) I read in a post that the cost would be ~$300? - No middle seat, holes in floor. Suggestions for blocking the holes? Is that recommended? - All the plastic wall and ceiling lining is removed or falling off. Is this a problem? Do most other folks rip it out as well? - Poptop seal needs to be glued back on. Suggestions on what to use? - Where to put my drinks?!?!?!!? Have already found lots of info on this one... - I am still trying to sort out how to use the stove, sink and fridge. I'll figure it out, and ask any specific questions later. Have already learned a lot about the fridge from some posts - thanks! - Can't open sliding door from the outside - no biggie really, makes it more secure from thieves! - No A/C, starts getting hot in temps 85 and above. Is it worth considering A/C installation? Approx cost? - Tires will need to be replaced next year - have already seen some good tips on the list, thanks! - Does anybody know where can find out which colors were available in 1983? I found a link that had other years listed, but not 1983. I'd like to find out exactly what the name of my color is, although I am guessing it was just called "green".

Here's what I already had fixed, before heading to Yosemite:

- Rear hatch struts replaced - Oil change; oil tank leak fixed - Gas tank leak fixed - New front brake pads

Thanks everybody. My favorite moment so far was the day after I bought it, my excitement still at the very high end of the spectrum, and I was driving back home leisurely through wine country... the driver of an orange Vanagon Westy waved to me... it felt like a welcome to the club. So, I'm looking forward to waving to some of you folks soon! Cheers all, Stacy