Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2005 04:50:05 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 2wd springs
Comments: To: icecoldvw@HOTMAIL.COM

I installed the Sychro.org 2wd springs a few years back. The ride became much more comfortabel with the new springs compaired to my old tired sagging springs. I didn't notice any difference at all in ride height.

My bus, a 1983.5 Westfalia, still lists to the left. List wisdom (no pun intended) suggests the bus listed to the left even when it drove off the lot due to uneven weight distribution. I dunno if I buy that exaclty. Seems to me if the springs were strong enough from the factory--and for arguement lets say they were--the bus would have sat practically if not actually level. Yes, I understand the left side is heavier. But stronger springs of the same height would logically raise the left side to be equal with the right. That is to say, within reason, and at some point, a spring which is, let's say 12 inches long won't ever raise the right side more than 12 inches. If it's strong enough it will raise the left up to the height of the right without shims.

If they weren't so darn expensive I'd go to VW for replacement springs.

I hate the listing. I've heard shims on one side will solve the problem with the Sychro.org springs. The shimming seems complicated and so I have avoided it.

And I still say VW back in the day didn't let the busses roll off the lot listing.

My guess is with the performance springs the ride will be stiffer. And if you use the Westfalia for camping some of the extra ground clearance from "stock" springs will come in very handy on bumpy dirt roads through a state or national park or camp ground. Bottoming out is for amatures and EuroVans. On the other hand if you have issues getting the bus into your garage the lower springs might prove beneficial enough to make the lack of ground clearance a worthwhile sacrifice.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA