Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:13:35 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 15" wheels - what about spare?
Comments: To: Wognacious <wognacious@sbcglobal.net>

That tire is about the same diameter and width as the OEM 205/70-14.

Dennis

-----Original Message----- From: Wognacious [mailto:wognacious@sbcglobal.net] Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 8:14 PM To: Dennis Haynes; 'Wognacious'; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: RE: 15" wheels - what about spare?

They are the Michelin Agilis 51's , size is 205/65 R15C.

Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> wrote: What size tire?

Dennis

I've got a 15" spare in my carrier. I took the stock hing pin mechanism out and replaced whatever was there with case hardened bolts and nylock nuts. Seems like there was some kinda spring steel thing in there before. Someone on the list mentioned this fix a while ago so it should be in the archives. Spare fits fine with the correct amount of air pressure in it too.

Paul Rogers 85 Westy Weekender

Dennis Haynes wrote: The issue is the overall size of the tire, not the wheel. The practical limit the later tire tray and removing the hold downs is probably 27" diameter and 215 widths. 225 widths might be possible with a custom tray or support bars. This may require leaving the tire deflated and carrying an air compressor. I have 215/65-16's on my Syncro and the spare is mounted this way. If the spare wheel is steel and the other wheels alloy, you should also carry a spare set of lug nuts and bolts for 2wd.

Dennis