Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 26 Jun 2005 20:54:11 -0700
From:         Ken Sid <waterboxer@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Fuel sender inacurate (theory)

So I finally got around to replacing the worn out fuel sender in my van as I was tired of the gauge not working below 1/2 tank, The old sender clearly showed signs of wear on the lower end. With limited time I thought that I would drop the tank enough to remove the old sender and install the new. This meant I had to remove the filler neck to allow for the tank to drop enough, I didn't want to mess with any of the cross-over / vent pipes up from so I was careful to lower the tank just enough to remove the sender with little trouble. ( I kept the tank elevated on a floor jack).Upon removal of the old sender I plugged the new one in the check that it operated properly on the fuel gauge, which it did.

Now, or shall I say since the installation the gauge hasn't functioned properly. It works fine on the low end, say 1/2 tank and under but doesn't register a full tank. thinking back to the installation I recall having problems with the O ring. I couldn't get it to seat itself on the sender so I had to place it on the tank then carefully insert the sender into place. The sender turned (locked) into position feeling like there was an O ring between the tank and the sender.

Here's the theory part....

Could it be that the O ring fell in the tank only to be hung up on the senders wire arm, thus not allowing the float to rise to the surface of a full tank.? I can't see it being the voltage regulator as I replaced the a year back and the temp gauge works fine.

thanks

ken

Ken Sidorchuk Vancouver, BC Canada. 85 Vanagon GL - Goldie 240,000 km ------------------------- ------------------------- "Any splelling errors are typos. Grammatical erros is because I don't bosther."