Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:07:47 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: Engine quit at freeway speed, no re-start
Comments: To: Detroit Bus <detroit.bus@GMAIL.COM>

That's the way the ECU quit on my '84 during a trip a few years ago. Luckily I had a spare with me.

I had tried a number of things before putting the other ECU in and my symptoms were much the same as yours. With the spare ECU ... it started right up and we finished our travels.

After I got home I put the old ECU in and again, No Start. I put the spare back in and it ran like a charm.

I bought another ECU via EBAY (it came and wouldn't work ... not in the '84 nor the '85 ... the seller replaced it with one that does) and it's now my "spare".

Mike Houlton, Maine

Detroit Bus wrote: > Driving today on the NY thruway, not a care in the world, going down a > moderate hill at 3200 rpm or so, and the engine turns off like a > switch. No roughness, no hesitation, just OFF, RPM=0. > > I pulled over and checked every wire, twice. Resistance across coil is > 1.2 ohms which is a bit out of specs (Bentley manual says .5-.8 ohms > required). No fuel from injectors, no spark. Starter turns over and > chugs along merrily with no response from engine. I don't think its > the fuel pump, as that would cause a slow stall, not an immediate off, > right? > > I suspect the coil because it looks like its been around for a while. > Any other suspects? I can't imagine the computer would just throw in > the towel like that... > > My vanagon was towed to an unknown mechanic so I'm expecting some > interesting phone calls tomorrow. > > What should I ask the mechanic to look at? Seems like only a few > specific things could make an engine just turn off like that. >