Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:28:31 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Skylight Alternatives ...
Comments: To: Bob Elliott <bobe@webtide.net>

Hi Bob,

When I had my 1980 westy, I too lusted after a skylight and was warned by several list members that they are prone to leaks, etc. So I moved it from my "must have" to my "wish list" and never ended up getting around to installing one before I sold my van and bought an 1986 syncro westy.

Having now lived with the syncro for two years I can tell you that the warings on the list were right and if I ever replace my fiberglass pop top I will be looking to obtain one from an early westy that comes sans skylight cutout (assuming that is possible with the way canvas is secured on the two differing models). The list was right, they leak, they don't add much ventalation, etc.

So, my advice to you is don't do it. That said, if you have your heart set on it www.gowesty.com sells complete retrofit kits. Thier print catalogue lists them as:

Aftermarket Kit GVW-255-745 $225.95 OEM Kit 255-070-740 $299.95

Thanks, Chris

On 6/26/05, Bob Elliott <bobe@webtide.net> wrote: > Our much loved "Aus Haus" is a 1980 aircooled Canadian Westy model and as > such came from the factory without a poptop skylight. We've considered > installing an after-market unit but the stock units and dismantler units > we've seen appear quite fragile, have an overly complicated opening and > closing mechanism (most of this info about skylights came from the list btw). > > I've also learned that the skylight causes a fairly significant (in my > case) height increase (2" - 3") when closed. In our circumstance an > increase of 2" would restrict us from using our underground parking spot > and there is only a 4" difference between or current height and paying a > over-height surcharge when we take British Columbia ferries. > > My question is, has anyone found a poptop skylight alternative that has > worked well, has a minimal height increase and fits the Westy poptop > skylight footprint? > > I've wandered West Marine and found many hatches that appear that they may > work but I'd like to hear from others before I jump in. > > Another option may be the Eurovan Camper skylight. It appeals because of it > simplicity of function/mechanism and its very low profile when closed. Has > anyone installed on on a Vanagon Westy? > > I realize that the area assigned to installing a skylight on my poptop is > fairly strictly defined so that presents another restriction. > > TIA > > peace > > bob > > > > > > -- > No virus found in this outgoing message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.1/28 - Release Date: 6/24/2005 >