Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2005 14:13:13 -0400
From:         Doug Alcock <doug.alcock@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repainting my syncro another color
Comments: cc: gronski@GMAIL.COM

Depends on how far you stray from the original colour --- Chris Jordan is absolutely right --- the insides of the door jambs are going to look like --err, something unpleasant --- unless the prep is immaculate. As for doing the inside yourself someday; is that day ever really going to come? Not sure how you propose doing the interior yourself but as an ex-commercial painter I'll offer some thoughts. If you're thinking of "just brushing" new colour over the visible interior bits, think again. There's a lot of it, and unless you're an extremely good hand with a brush --- you won't have a job you'll be happy with. I'm (he says modestly) really good with a brush and I know I couldn't do it to my satisfaction. Similarly, If you're going to rip out the interior and mask and spray the interior, you are once more looking at a job for a very patient pro ---- taking a lot of hours. That's why a complete resto and colour change costs sooo much money. If you want a change, keep it brown, maybe a little different, maybe metallic, whatever makes you happy. Avoid internally cringing whenever you get in the van and see the difference between the inside and outside colour. My own van's exterior is actually a fair bit different from the interior --- but unless you're a Vanagon freak who instantly recognizes that the colour isn't quite one of the stock ones --- you'd never notice. That's my advice, and like all advice, it's worth exactly what you paid for it :-)

Cheers, Doug

On 6/27/05, JordanVw@aol.com <JordanVw@aol.com> wrote: > In a message dated 6/27/05 12:55:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, > gronski@GMAIL.COM writes: > > > > My 1986 syncro is currently painted dark brown (for you Canadian's > > think "National Park Brown" > > > that's UPS truck brown..or more correctly "merion brown". > > anyway, its doable..but ... > PREP is KEY!!!! > if the surface isnt properly prepped, then paint will peel. i parted out a > van that had a color change.. cheap earl shieb job. everything was masked > off, not removed, and there was peeling and orangepeel, runs. fisheyes > everywhere.. also it looked like crap in the doorjambs where it was the original > color.. > > anyway, surface prep is key. > > chris >