Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Jun 2005 16:00:59 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C question

Not certin I understand your problem. This 91 stops blowing cold only when you get on the highway? Does it stop blowing cold when operating after a short while, in any driving situation? I'll guess that you are a bit low on refrigerant.What refrigerant you have, is being sub cooled in the condenser when all the air from highway travel is blowing on the grill.Moisture is in this refrigerant, and it is collecting as ice at the expansion valve,thus plugging it up.When the system stops working , the ice will warm up and melt. Then the system starts working all over again(till the moisture collects as ice again).I think moisture can be tested for.Evacuation for a few hours , a new dryer,and recharging . is probably the ticket.Being on the highway is getting enough heat removed from the refrigerant ,to get it cool enough, so that when it makes contact with the expansion valve, it will now freeze. A few degrees higher , and this wont happen.You can drive slower or add refrigerant.Run the system for a bit , and then check the tempature of the hoses(use your hands to tell)at the reciever. If the tempature at the exiting( between the dryer and evaperater)hose is much cooler than the entering hose ( the one that is hard to get to), you are undercharged.I guess you can just recharge, but you will still have the moisture in the system. This will get the temp up at the evaperater inlet, enough so ice wont form.So how did the moisture get inside? My guess is a leak in the low side, or from the person who serviced your system last time.1/20 of 1 drop of water will shut some systems down. Try tightening each connection between the compressor suction port (suc as labeled on the rear of the compressor)and expansion valve. Just a bit.Best to evacuate and recharge to get rid of the water.