Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2005 08:49:43 -0400
From:         dan gordon <dangordon0128@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      83 Adventurewagen update and story
Comments: To: vans <type2@type2.com>, Adventurewagen@yahoogroups.com

I booght a very beautiful Adventurewagen on ebay about a month and a half ago for a cool $1600. Too good a price.

It lives in upstate NY and I live in Philadelphia. The PO told me that while it had been sitting, with some fresh gas and a quick fluid check she'd make the trip back. Those of you who suggested I take a HD wrecker were right on the money.

Get this.. I get there and the van is gorgeous. Original KOA interior in near perfect condition. Original curtains, camping gear screens, everything. I am very impressed. I wanted to get some gas in her and start her up so I asked for the ignition key from the PO. The gas tank had a locking cap. After trying to open it with the only exsisting ignition key, I stopped and rethought what I what doing. I didn't want half a key and no way to start it. The PO suggested that he try so I could get everything ready to go. He tries a little too hard and *snap* the key dies. Now I have no way of knowing whether it will start or not... I have the van towed (because i'm an idiot) to a nearby respectable VW garage in the hope of the PO paying for a new ignition in the morning. After three days (and having to drive all the way back to philly) I had not heard from the PO. I did hear from my mechanic though. Motor blown, all wheel had seized from rusted brake lines, huge rusted hole in the muffler. Those are the things he had theheart to tell me. I don't know that rest.

A huge dispute with paypal, ebay, my credit card and the PO. I win with paypal and ebay... because non of these problems were revealed in the description. I get $175 dollars back when paypal clears the PO's account. Bummer.

So now, instead of being "stuck" with the van, I would like to change my attitude and be blessed with a near perfect van... here are the things I would like to ask the group:

1. Can I really do the work to the engine of this van? I am handy and have all my own tools already and can read pretty well. 2. What are my options as far as a motor goes. Should I trade in my core and buy a new one, or should I try to rebuild her myself. 3. How do I get a high top van home 300miles from upstste NY. 4. How do I do all thins without selling my guinea pig into slavery.

Thanks everybody for support throguh this... if you have any questions or help, please e-mail me

dan