Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:46:58 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: Trans report : SOLVED!
Comments: To: Chris Renz <aircooledchris@EUCASAFARI.VENDIOWEB.COM>

Chris,

A few years back, when I was trying to figure out why my clutch was chattering, it was suggested by someone on this list that it could be a bad tranny mount. I crawled under the van and pushed, pulled, yanked, and wiggled at the mounts on both my vans, deciding that perhaps the chattery one was a bit more flexible than the quiet one, but not significantly.

I grabbed myself an old tire I found on the side of the road and cut some strips out of the side of it, dipped them in contact cement (or perhaps rubber cement?) and pulled them through the gaps in the bracket. This didn't have any affect on the chattering, but did make the floor of the van a giant sounding board, transmitting every little bit of engine noise into the vans interior.

Replacing the tranny mount is a piece of cake - takes about fifteen minutes, and you should be able to pick up a perfectly adequate used one for a song. I'm pretty sure I have one here that you could have for the price of shipping and $5.

BTW, the chattering seems to almost always be a worn throw-out bearing yoke.

Karl Wolz