Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:23:00 -0400
From:         Wil Haslup <wil@CHARMFX.COM>
Subject:      Trick to replacing the "Eye" bushing in the stabilizer link

Hi all,

I offer this as another approach to what's available in the archives for replacing the stabilizer link bushing.

After searching the archives I found mention of inserting the bushing into the "Eye" in the link, putting the bottom end through the hole in the A arm and pressing it on the end of the bar noting this requires some effort. Ha!

I also received replies to my recent queries that others had gone the other way...putting the bushing on the stabilizer bar and beating it into the "Eye" after positioning the link. I found this even less likely.

I tried both routes and found I made more progress with the first option but couldn't manage to get the thing on either way.

Then I had a brain wave....

I pressed the bushing into the "eye" of the link in a bench vise (with a piece of board on either side to keep from mangling it much) BUT ONLY pressed it about HALF way into the hole from the side of the "eye" that the bar will need to go into....driver's side link/leave the bushing protruding from the passenger side of the eye.

Soap up the bushing and the end of the bar. Then I put the bolt end through one washer, one lower bushing and into the hole in the A arm. Then I positioned the eye over the end of the bar and with little effort got it started. Effort is still required now though but it wasn't nearly as difficult for me. Your effort is both pressing it onto the bar and moving the bushing into the "eye" at the same time.

I placed a piece of 1"x 3" or 1"x`4" over the outside face of the "eye" and if you're careful and keep it away from brake lines you can wedge an end in there to stabilize it. Then take a hammer or rubber mallet and beat on the board over the "eye" face. The effort will press the bushing further into the "Eye" and further onto the bar at the same time. By the time you get the bushing nearly all the way into the "Eye" the end of the bar should also be nearly all the way through. Work it a bit and you should have things where they need to be.....put the sleeve, lower bushing and washer on and bolt to spec and things are good.

--

Wil

-- http://www.charmfx.com/

"Singing is a trick to get people to listen to music for longer than they would ordinarily." -- David Byrne