Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:58:35 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Gearing/rpm
Comments: To: Karin Baker & Raymond Paquette <paquette@NETHERE.COM>

Karin, rpm vs speed is always a problem on these vanagons. They were designed and built for a different era, and like the lil'boy sez' , " It ain't made to go 100 nph with your hair on fire!!".

Indicating 70 at 4000 rpm is about right, as the original stock speedos typically read five miles fast, ie, at 70 indicated you are doing 65 actual. Much depends on what tires and rims you are running. Here in the Southeast US I found that when running 65 in the truck lane - which is posted 65 mph for trucks - the truckers would bear down on me any way. So if they were really doing 65 mph, and I'm was doing 65 mph, somebody WAS NOT doing 65 MPH. Me - or them?? Well, given the setup on the Vanagon, I was prol'ly running a true 60, and not 65. I had to replace my speedometer with a factory new one, and I also put on a set of Michelin XCA 205-75 14's that are a bit bigger in diameter. The two together now have me right on speed wise. If the speedo says 65, then I'm doing 65 - not 60. Even so, I limit engine rpm to 3800 except for the occasional forray up to 4000 rpm. But I never cruise with it up there at that rpm.

If you go to a larger tire/rim combination you will be able to get that rpm thing on the highway lowered just a bit, and if you want to go even further there is a 5-speed conversion that is available from Weddle Engineering. Don't know if it works on a Syncro however.

If I had a nice Syncro, if my circumstances permitted, I don't think I would use it as a daily driver. I would park it and drive something lest costly to operate on a daily basis than a 17-20 year old near antique vehicle. I would save it for weekends and those special trips. As the Lil' Boy "Sez, " they ain't gettn' no younger!!"

My 88 GL is my daily driver, BUT, I only have to WALK 50 feet and I'm at work. So my daily driving is to the post office and the grocery store, essentially. No commuting.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver.