Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:11:45 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC radiator removal

Well, unless it's REALLY heavy, I'd probably leave it in. Once upon a time I left the AC condenser out of my 1978 280Z after replacing the head for similar reasons (also, I was lazy). A couple months later, while driving on the freeway, the car ahead of me ran over the remains of a wooden pallet in the road, kicking up a big cloud of wood splinters. I swerved around the pallet, but was unable to avoid the debris-cloud. Thinking nothing of it, I continued driving. About a half mile down the road I notice the temp gauge climbing, and FAST. So I pull over to the side of the road and find that a splinter of wood from that debris cloud, about 9 inches long and sharp as a spear, had managed to slide right between two bars of my lower grill and puncture the radiator! A wad of epoxy putty and a gallon of water got me home, where I immediately reinstalled the AC condenser. The AC system was non functional, but removing the condenser never made a difference heat-wise, and it didn't actually weigh very much. But even if it does nothing else, it makes an EXCELLENT piece of armor against radiator-spearing. I know it was just one of those one-in-a-million things, but since then I've left the condenser in all my cars, whether the AC worked or not.

On 6/30/05, Martine Boudreault <martine.boud@videotron.ca> wrote: > This will be pretty strange for people down south, but I just removed my AC > on my 89 Westy. I needed the room and don't really need it up here. I was > told that removing the AC radiator will help cooling and remove some weight > in the front? Is it easy to remove the AC radiator or do I have to remove > the complete main radiator etc... > Thanks. > Joel >