Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2005, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:33:56 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Looking for a good GPS - Any recommendations
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

While I didn't fully explore the possibilities, I found a pair that meet my needs. Yes, a pair.

First. Most GPS nav systems are oriented towards providing directions from one place to another. They may have additional information (restaurants, hospitals, etc.) They usualy won't have forest roads (fireroads).

The two that I got were due to >MY< needs, which may be different than yours.

1) Bluetooth GPS. Several models are available. I choose GlobalSat BT-338. Note, there is no display on this. It is ONLY a GPS module with bluetooth connectivity to a computer. Battery life is purposed to be up to 13 hours on a charge. It came with AC and DC adapters to recharge it's internal battery.

1a) Software. I bought MacGPSPro. This is for a Macintosh computer. I also bought pre-calibrated USGS topo maps for most of the NE US (a lot of these are also available for free download, but I didn't want to spend the time getting all). In combination with the BT-338, this software lets me see (on 7.5' quads) where I am and what's around me. Works great with my 12" Powerbook.

2) Pioneer AVIC-N2, in dash GPS Nav (6.5" screen). This is a DVD/CD/ GPS Nav/AM-FM unit. It is XM and Sirius ready and also supports an iPod interface. (iPod and Satellite radio are extra cost items, GPS is included). Not cheap, $2000 or there abouts un-installed.

The GPS Nav software is very good. Maps are accurate and fairly up to date. One DVD of Eastern US and Canada, One DVD of Western US and Canada (some overlap between the two). The Sirius and iPod interfaces aren't so good. They work, but are a bit clumsy.

GPS antenna is a magnetic mount. I put mine up under the luggage carrier, just like my Sirius antenna. Works fine.

I did my own installed and it took quite some time. The Pioneer comes with a remote box, in addition the DIN head unit. My remote box is in my Westy's sink/stove cabinet. Part of what took so long was routing cables for all the little stuff (antenna's, power, brake, backup light, etc.)