Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:50:52 -0500
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Larry Himli <lhimli@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Trip to Glacier & Banff

Just got back from another wonderful 3,000 mile adventure to Glacier National Park and Banff Provincial Park in Canada. Several problems occurred during the trip. Day two it was over 90 degrees and I bucked a head wind all the way through ND and into Montana. Drove about 650 miles and stopped in Glasgow, MT for the night. After stopping at the grocery store we got back in the Westy and proceded to our campsite when on the first small hill the clutch slipped in all gears. As luck would have it... there was a NAPA shop at the top of the hill. We talked for about 30 minutes and then the mechanic took it for a test drive and NO slipping. It was Friday night and they said they couldn't order a clutch until Monday and that it would take three more days for delivery and two days to install. I was reviewing previous posts I maintain in my data base and came across someone stating that whenever he overloaded his Westy he got the slippage. Figuring the high temps, bucking the wind and two big boys and alot of equipment we decided to push on. Two thousand miles later and no reccurence of the problem. Problem Two: dreaded gas line coming off. One morning we drove from campsite to the lodge (about two blocks) and when I was pulling into a parking space I smelled gas. Sure enough it was spewing out near the rear passenger side. I quickly crimped the line with vise grips and we pushed it back to the campsite (down hill). Investigated and discovered the ridgid line worked itself out of the small rubber line that goes to the transition piece that goes through the fire wall. The original clamps were no good but luckily I had spare clamps and resecured the line. How lucky to not have a hot engine roaring down the road. I recommend EVERYBODY put new clamps on in this area. However, after pushing without power steering the horn doesn't work and I suspect my 300 pound partner might have caused problems with the horn switch in the steering column. Fuse 16 is good. My manual doesn't appear to address getting at the horn switch in the column. Any suggestions? I took over 1,000 photos of flora and fauna and absolutely think these parks are the most scenic I've seen. Only saw several vanagons and one Westy during the trip. Larry 87 Westy