Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Jul 2005 21:18:19 -0700
From:         John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Final Drive Oil Seal Bushing

So I've finally got the engine ready to assemble with the transmission and put it in. The first step is to put the auto tranny unit and the final drive together. Auto unit is a fresh rebuild from German Transaxle. The important part there is to measure the end play between the oil seal bushing on the final drive and the shoulder of the reverse planetary ring gear on the transmission (as detailed at 38.5 in the Bentley) in order to shim out the slop. The tranny came from German Transaxle with the reverse gear offset measurement written on the instruction envelope: .266 inch. The oil seal bushing depth is .114 inch. Thus the calculated end play is NEGATIVE .152 inch! That's more than an eighth of an inch! The guy at German Transaxle said this means the final drive needs rebuilding, as the pinion shaft bearings are going. He said to check the pinion shaft for end play and I'll understand the necessity. Well, I drove out for my weekly Vanagon work day today and inspected the pinion shaft. No end play whatsoever. So I pulled the cover plate off and inspected the bearing outer race therein and the bearing itself in the pinion shaft: race shiny and smooth as silk, bearing spins smooth and easy. I ran the old differential oil through filter paper when I drained it to change the differential pan gasket, and it had not a speck of ANYTHING in it. The magnet on the pan was likewise perfectly clean. The differential has clearly been re-done before (the spring washers are missing from under the five bolts holding the pinion cover plate, and one bolt was only hand-tight), so maybe some transmission genius did something weird, like shim the oil seal bushing from behind, to adjust for a badly out of spec transmission? The guy at German Transaxle said it should take about 40ft/lbs (!) to turn the pinion shaft against the differential and mine turns easily by hand. But there's no end play! And all seems perfect except for the oil seal bushing offset. I am sorely tempted to pull the bushing off, machine .170 inch off it and pretend nothing happened! Anyone know if it's possible for the final drive to "fail" in such a way as to do no more than extend the oil seal bushing but not harm the bearings? Is the pinion shaft REALLY supposed to take 40ft/lbs to turn?