Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:44:46 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Ignition switch - no start
Comments: To: "mountainroad@rmi.net" <mountainroad@RMI.NET>

Does wigging the key/ignition switch get you a start? If not, then the problem is likely to be elsewhere. I always start with cleaning the connections at the battery terminals, if that fails, I go on to connection at the starter, then to the body grounds at battery and tranny. The starter needs a *lot* of current, and at 12 volts it takes only a *tiny* bit of resistance to limit that. Usually built-up corrosion at the battery terminals is enough.

Does it always start when cold, but get iffy when hot? This is a common fried-starter condition. Sometimes you can overcome the temporarily by tapping the starter with a broom handle and trying again... but be prepared to drop the starter and possibly replace it.

Some folks have reported success by taking the solenoid (attached to the starter) apart and cleaning it, others have added a bypass relay (usually using a standalone Ford solenoid) to keep the main solenoid current from making the round trip through the ignition switch. See the archives for details.

Good luck,

Tim

At 01:57 PM 7/5/2005 -0400, you wrote: >Hi all: > >1987 - Vanagon Syncro > >Occasionally when I turn the ignition switch to start up, I get all the >dash lights, etc. but no ignition at the starter. I don't hear any sounds >whatsoever. I did notice a very momentary delay some month or so ago, but >now the symptoms are becoming chronic. > >I've had this problem addressed earlier by replacing the ignition switch, >but the problem is back. Without fail, if I wait a while, could be >seconds, minutes, or hours, the car will start pretty as you please. > >If I don't have any time to waste, it will push start quite easily. > >thanks! > >Eric (Colorado) > >-------------------------------------------------------------------- >mail2web - Check your email from the web at >http://mail2web.com/ .