Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:56:17 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: [NVC] Digital Camera

Most folks want autofocus for their digital work, and the Oly Zuiko (not Zeiss) lenses are almost all manual focus. Also, film is able to receive light at a more oblique angle than is a CCD, so wider angle lenses needed to be redesigned to move the rear element of the lens further away from the CCD. If you use a wide angle film lens on a digital camera, you can get some odd effects, especially around the edges of the image.

Fuji has developed a rather different way of packing in the sensors on the CCD - sort of a honeycomb instead of lines and rows, making for a bit better resolution. They've also piggybacked a second sensor to each existing sensor - the function of which is to give a hi-lo signal to increase the dynamic range of the signal. This should (and to my experience, does eliminate the blocked up shadows that Andrew was complaining about.

My son uses a Fuji E-550 (around $300), and I'm always tempted to grab it rather than most of my pro gear due to its light weight, unobtrusive profile, and image quality. It'll focus down to around 5 inches (don't know if that qualifies as super close) and has very good low-light capabilities. The E-500 has a less sophisticated CCD, but does focus down to something like 3/4"!!

I had opportunity to use a Fuji S-20 Pro, which looks like an SLR but does not actually have an interchangeable lens, using instead a fixed 35-210 mm (35mm equivalent) along with the Super CCD and several other bells and whistles. Like the camera a lot, but at around $800, it might be a good thing to look at an interchangeable lens SLR, like the new(ish) Nikon (don't recall the model #) selling with a normal zoom lens for under $1000.

I tend not to be a camera techie person, and strongly believe in going to several camera shops and picking up and playing with the different models from different manufacturers. What feels good to the hand is what will work for you. If you spend $300 in today's market, you're going to get a $300 camera. They're pretty similar. A good buddy of mine is a sales rep for Fuji, so I tend to have easy access to their line, though neither he nor I earn a commission should you buy one.

He does suggest that One Call is a good source. They're in the Pacific Northwest, and run price surveys constantly. They will show what the best internet price is on the unit you're looking at and will match it. www.onecall.com

Karl Wolz