Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Jul 2005 14:55:54 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Vickers <jeff@VICKERSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Sunroof Alternative

I thought I'd share my sunroof alternative to that cranky OEM unit that drove me nuts.

http://vickersdesign.com/vanagon/sunroof_all.jpg

The opening measures 18"x32". The brand name is SUNMATE. I got it about 4 years ago through a local shop that installs sunroofs and interiors. It was about $135 back then. It came with a template for cutting and I installed it with Sikkaflex although I don't recall which # Sikkaflex it was. Sikkaflex is very permanent, messy, black and gooey stuff to mount sunroofs with---take your time when using it.

The upper left shot shows the glass removed and resting on the roof--from the picture it looks like it opens that way, but in fact I just removed it and set it down next to the opening. To remove the glass, you just release a button on the latch and remove the glass. Makes a nice way to inspect your roof from time to time or check on the contents of your luggage rack or just stick your head up there while your wife is driving along to annoy her. Watch for low bridges.

I've yet to make a screen for it but what I plan to do is find one of those pop-open window sunshades for cars (made from screen, not reflective material) that is large enough to rest against the inside frame of the sunroof. Sunshades usually come with a suction cup in the middle and are flexible enough that I could stick the suction cup to the sunroof glass (from the inside) with the sunroof in its most open position. The screen on most sunshades is much closer to no see-um netting than the VW stuff.

The only (small) issue I've had with this sunroof is that you need to keep the seal free of debris. Sometimes leaves and small stuff will settle on the seal when you park with it open so you just gotta check it once in a while or the glass won't meet the seal properly. Easy enough to do since its removable.

Jeff / 87 Syncro Westy