Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 7 Jul 2005 23:51:50 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Digital Camera

>I have a Sony F717 at a mere 5 MP and I'm not sure this camera is >still available--perhaps the F828 has taken over. The Leitz optics >are fantastic and with printing capability up to 20 x 30 with >excellent results I'm having a hard time justifying replacing this >camera with a "real" digital SLR. I use this camera for my part time >job as the webmaster for our public radio stations at the University >of Iowa and find myself counting flecks of color in the eyes of some >of my subjects. Stray nosehairs, even. Good in low light also. >Digital display in both eyepiece and camera back but both are kind of >small. Eyepiece has adjustable diopter for those slowly going blind >due to middling age.

I ALMOST bought an F828. I was waiting for it to be released. However once it became available (I never looked at an actual xample) I read the reviews and the purple hazing around the edges of the images it takes were judged a major flaw. Also the jointed body seemed peculiar and unnecessary... and having since seen one, am glad avoided it due to its large size and the layout.

I wish I had bought a Nikon SLR... I think Nikon is a pretentious company, but my boss' satisfaction with his plus the fact that it uses the same lenses as its photographic equivalent is a major plus... though the prices of those lenses certainly isn't a plus!

I need a true macro lens for taking images of small specimens. Unfortunately the so-called "macro" functions of nonSLR lenses is no such thing... nor on SLR zooms. Only a dedicated macro lens will do macro work... but I have found that holding a large (5-7cm diameter) magnifying lens against the camera lens is one way around this, though it is a bit awkward... the Mavica FD-88 was a lot better than the DiMage A2. Make sure the glass won't touch the camera's lens element! -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut