Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Jul 2005 15:49:40 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: R134 conversion

Hello, the difference between a new compressor and a rebuilt compressor is as follows: The new compressor has everything new. A date of manufacture is stamped into the front mounting ears, but this is not really the date of compressor manufacture. Only the date that that part was made.This date will have as the second didget, the last mumber of that decade.If made in 1984, this didget will be a 4.The first didget will be a 1 through 9 for the month, if made between jan and sept. It will be a X,Y,or Z if oct, nov, or dec.Cant tell much by this date. The rebuilt compressor has a new clutch/pulley, a new rear valve plate, a new shaft seal, a new paint job, new oil. The internals are not touched. These include the pistons, cylinders, thrust bearings, and more.I guess this is ok , unless you get a remanufactured compressor that came out of a pre 86 vanagon. These vanagons have no low pressure cut off switch in the a/c system. The oil will leave the compressor as the refrigerant level goes down. No switch to protect the compresor on these vanagons. All other vehicles have this switch.VW covered their a@@ on these vehicles by putting a sentence in the owners manuel to have the a/c system checked out before each cooling season.Hopefully a low freon situation would be caught ,and the compressor protected.I think about 90 percent of pre 86 vanagon found themselves in a no freon situation real quick,and not recharged.. I dont think the compressor in my 85 was working for about 15 years.I removed and dissembeled my compressor to try to find out why it was thumping so badly.When the clutch face plate was turned by hand, there was a "ruff" spot for about 30 degrees of each rotation. Turned out to be a thrust bearing. I emptyed the oil and measured 1/2 ounce, where there once was 8 ounces.This is what happens without a low pressure cut off switch.Being out of freon for 15 years also roached the shaft seal for sure.I think you can get a compressor anywhere for less than the price you got. they go for about $300 w/ shipping at Bus Depot. A bit more at other vendors.