Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:57:21 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: slow van, overheating, fast white westy on 91

Those are compound compound losses, Dennis. And I don't remember him saying anything about 3,200 rpm. I do know that I drive my vans very conservatively, ie 25 mph in second up long grades, and 55-58 mph on the flat, and people are always amazed that I have 206,000 on the one motor and 231,000 on the other with no major repairs. ----- Original Message ----- From: <dhaynes@optonline.net> To: "Jake de Villiers" <crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET> Cc: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 10:53 AM Subject: Re: slow van, overheating, fast white westy on 91

The engineering loss for a normally aspirated engine is 3%/1,000 feet. So at 10,000 feet, 30% of the engine horsepower is not available. I have to wonder why Aaron thinks he should keep the engine RPM's below 3,200? If it runs at 4,000 on the highway in 4th gear, why not let it go to 4,000 in second? he is actually lugging the engine and not doing the valves or bearings any good. 4,000 to 4,200 rpm should be no problem. 4,500 for short periods is also acceptable. Much above that can cause oil heating/thinning. I've run to the 5,200 limit for short bursts many a time. I've done both the route 70 and 80 passes and usually find second is too short and third sometimes too high. So I run in second at 4,200-4,500 keeping an eye on the oil temp. Having the water temp gauge increase by a "needle width" over the LED is not an issue. As the engine is loaded, the water temp will increase, the t-stat will open further, then as the radiator heats, more rise will occur. What is important is that it cools after the hill climb and that the temp does not go out of control.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@TELUS.NET> Date: Monday, July 11, 2005 12:56 pm Subject: Re: slow van, overheating, fast white westy on 91