Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:25:29 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: re. 88 toyota van from japan on ebay

>For anyone that is interested in that van... > >These Toyota Masterace/Townace van are real sweet. Not quite as spacious as >a Vanagon but the seating is hyper manouverable and having a true 4low is >real nice and the skylite roof is rad. The little 2Litre 2CT turbo diesel >engine is also surprisingly peppy, quiet and very fuel efficient (for USA >residents this engine was used in the 80's Camry diesel so parts and >mechanics should be available anywhere). One of these vans totally smoked >me on the highway the other day zipping by at around 120kmh. > >Parts for these imports are failrly easy to obtain from any toyota dealer as >long as you know the part number and can wait a few days/weeks for delivery. >Having said that I live in a small town of 35000 and my local toyota dealer >has had a number of requested parts IN STOCK for my import (1989 Hilux Surf >aka RHD diesel 4Runner) or available the next morning. Driving a RHD >vehicle in a LHD world only takes a day or two to master...everything is the >same except the turn signals and window washer arms are on opposite sides >(you feel real cool turing on your window washers at every intersection for >the first week!!). The only negatives driving RHD is that turning left at >intersections can be a little harder to see. Also passing takes a new >tactic as you have to jag to the right a bit to see if its clear before >passing left (but you don;t pass much in a toyota diesel, you are more >likely to BE passed, just like driving a Vanagon!!) > >Hope that helps anyone who might be interested...

I drive an Estima (Japnese-market "Previa", available in wide-body & narrow-body; mine is the latter) which has the 2.2-liter version of the 1C/2C/3C engine, the 3C-T (turbo). I do plenty of overtaking; the first one I drove got to 160kmh in a hurry... I doubt mine would even get there.

Turbodiesels are notorious for cracking heads, Toyotas included, and have a bad reliability record. Goes for the cars as well as vans. 2 items need addressing here: the exhaust is too small, allowing heat buildup in the head. Fit a bigbore exhaust to dump heat. The Estima now has a 2.5" pipe (the PO cracked a head; replacement with a "new" used engine cost him over $3000US at the time). Also check that there is no buildup of crud in the external waterpipes, especially those around the head... one person I taklked to stated that every 3C-T he has looked at (Camry, Liteace, Estima) has had a cracked head and these pipes are always clogged.

Spoken by someone crazy enough to be planning to replace the 1.8 1C in his 89 Corolla wagon with a 3C-T... -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut