Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 12 Jul 2005 14:37:36 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: About them Norcold refrigerators
Comments: To: Doug in Calif <vanagon@ASTOUND.NET>

On 7/12/2005 2:05 PM Doug in Calif wrote:

>Thanks Otmar, for the great report on the Engel 45. > >I realize that the batteries would have to be replenished after some use >How long would you have to run the alternator to replenish two deep cycles >in the battery compartments? >Say if you ran the engine for 15 minutes how many amp hours to you actually >get back? > >But what fridge can get down to 30 degrees in 113 degree weather and >maintain it. >No westy fridge can even come close to that >If you can keep the air temp inside the van down to 95 it can drop temps >down to 5 degrees >At 78 it will go down to -5 degees below zero! >You can make some pretty darn cold ice for your other coolers with that much >cooling power. > >I concede the point about the cold air falling out of the westy fridge. >You guys are right the thermal mass of the food itself will make it a non >issue. > >Its my understanding the swing compressor is only on the Engel 35 and 45. >You can see the change in amperage on the chart here. > >https://www.expeditionexchange.com/engel/ > >I agree with mike if there was a "hybrid" propane power for night and swing >compressor for day you would have it all. > > Or, how about this:

http://www.waecousa.com/page.asp?page=rsa-60

This is a Danfoss compressor (used in Engel and Norcold) unit that somehow can shut down at night and keep stuff cold using some magic cold/energy accumulator. I have no idea what that "cold accumulator" system is all about.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") Carlsbad, CA KG6RCR