Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:02:04 -0400
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: About them Norcold refrigerators
Comments: To: Otmar <otlists@EVCL.COM>

The capacity of the alternator has little effect on the rate of charge to a battery. The charge rate is determined by voltage. Since the alternator is regulated at a fixed voltage and does not compensate for battery state of charge or temperature, it is also a poor choice for really charging deep cycle batteries. Typically, at the 13.8 volts, a battery will charge at ~ 20-30 amp hours up to ~ 75% state of charge, then the rate will drop even lower. You really need to plan on 4 hours drive time to get batteries even close to fully charged.

Dennis