Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:21:58 -0400
From:         Don in North Carolina <vanagondon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Window Tint Recommendations
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com>

On 7/12/05, Christopher Gronski <gronski@gmail.com> wrote: > I am considering tinting my windows and I wanted people's opinion on two things: > > 1) Type and brand of tint, what have you used that you like? I am > leaning towards the sort of mirrored look, but I'm still open to > suggestions. > > 2) Which windows to tint? I am considering only tinting the side > windows (middle and rear) and leaving the cab area and the rear window > untinted. I'd like your opinon on this as well > > Thanks, > Chris

Chris,

I would say the first thing you should check out is what the state law is for your particular state. Having your windows tinted can be expensive, and it costs even more to have tinting removed...

For example, in California you can spray paint the windows from the B-pillar back with black spray paint if you want (or limo tint them), as long as you have two outside mirrors. But the only "tint" you can apply (legally) to the front driver and passenger windows is a "clear" UV film (and that was a recent law change).

In Arizona, you can tint all of the windows (except the windshield), but the front driver and passenger windows can't be darker than 35%.

In North Carolina, they test your tint level during the annual inspection (for $10 more) to make sure it doesn't exceed 35%.

I would like to get my windows tinted, but the cost of the tinting and the yearly testing - along with the uncertainty of where I'll be living in a year - has held me back... -- Don in Reidsville, NC 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) "Why do they call it a fixed income, if mine is always broke?"