Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:33:16 -0400
From:         Don in North Carolina <vanagondon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: alt. light and overheating
Comments: To: Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net>

On 7/9/05, Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net> wrote: > Still dealing with 120 C temps in the back hose of the 90 GL after a 15 > minute drive. Motor warms up too quickly it seems, hangs around 110 for a > while and then gets to 120(these numbers come fro the VDO gauge, not the > dash. The temp needle on the dash is close to the top when the high speed > of the fan kicks in( not sure if the low speed is working,but I have > replaced the resistor some years ago) and eventually shuts off and it does > provide some relief, but only temporary. > > I noticed the alternator light flickering a little occasionally when > starting up cold, and was out of adjustment on the belt, so I replaced it > and have adjusted it once for stretch and the flicker is still happening > about a third of the time. Is it possible that the water pump is starting > up stiff or in a semi seize state and that's causing the altnernator not to > spin right off the bat? this one has got me baffled. Switched to a know > good thermostat and expansion cap System was bled after the T-stat was > swapped, so I'm kinda ready to switch the pump as a last resort. > > Thanks for any suggestions. > > DM&FS

Max,

As you know, I am getting ready to change my thermostat to try and bring my temps under control. I am hoping that the current thermostat is not opening fully and restricting flow to my radiator. This is probably a pipe dream, but it IS the cheapest thing to replace. Once this is changed, if my temps do not decrease, I am looking at replacing my radiator. This my be your issue also...

Are the temps going that high (110-120 C = 230-248 F!) with the vehicle running down the road, or when stopped? If the temps go down while moving, I would check the fan circuit to find out why your low speed fan isn't coming on. Assuming that your temp gauge is accurate (it may not be!) the low speed fan should come on at 89-94 C and the high speed should come on at 95-100 C. It may be that your thermo switch is defective, and letting the coolant get too hot before coming on.

Just remember, the cooling fan does not control coolant temp at speed, normal airflow through the radiator should do that - if airflow at speed does not cool your coolant, then the radiator is probably partially blocked, or your water pump is no longer pumping properly (I would bet on the radiator - but I've been wrong before!).

As for the flickering Alt light, it's quite possible that your brushes are just worn. You should first check all your connections to make sure they are clean and tight, as a loose connection can build enough resistance to cause this problem. If everything checks out, I would probably replace the brush/regualtor assembly, assuming that you haven't replaced your alternator lately. It's inexpensive and (fairly) easy to do.

-- Don in Reidsville, NC 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) "Why do they call it a fixed income, if mine is always broke?"