Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:10:06 -0500
From:         Robin <robindavies@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      My Trip-Madison, Wi ->Vancouver, BC and Back

Hey All,

We always read these horror stories from the road of breakdown and underpowered VWs (I have sent some). Well, I wanted to report a positive story. In late June I embarked on a WildWest Adventure with my two dogs to visit family and friends and play a big Ultimate Frisbee tournament in the Seattle area. My, new to me, 91 Westy- Zenith with 164k appeared in fine running order, but I was still terrified of a breakdown with such high miles and my little knowledge of her past... Time contraints kept me from a full testing of all the utilities before departure. So, it wasn't until the day I was leaving that I discovered the fridge and the water pump didn't work. I have a full trip report if you're really bored, but in synopsis, all went well. Zenith ran like a champ. She could go 70 all day if I wanted her to. Top speed I hit was probably 85 on a mountain descent. Yes, we crept up many mountains being passed like a guardrail by other MVs. I almost cancelled this trip due to gas prices... the most I paid was $2.59 and least was $2.08. I averaged about 21 mpg. So, I could have flown out twice over for what I spent, but seeing my dogs swimming in the Pacific and having my bicycle there to tour Vancouver and Bellingham and Bozeman and Missoula was worth it. I had zero hotel expenses and ate out of the van the entire time which certainly saves money. Best road: Chuckanut Highway south of Bellingham-just gorgeous! Worst roads-my hometown Madison, WI. What is up with all our potholes!? Got pulled over once in South Dakota for a license plate violation. The Man let me off after seeing my temp Wisconsin plate and meeting my German Shepherds (he is a K9 officer). Got my fridge up in Bellingham with help from John at Northwest Campers. Love the propane mode! Made ice for my drinks at Potlatch. Everywhere I went peaople admired my ancient German engineered camper. By the way between Madison and Bozeman I saw zero Vanagons. From Bozeman west they were everywhere. The PNW is certainly ripe and Bellingham and Vancouver are a goldmine of vans (many for sale). My wave return ratio was pretty low though folks.. I'd say one in five waved back at me.

I have a ton of photos on my photo blog if your bored: <http://flickr.com/photos/newlow/>

In all I logged 4500 miles. Probably listened to all 10,000 songs on my iPod. My dogs are ready to do the trip again... maybe we just need to move that way?

R. -- The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up.