Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:52:04 -0400
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: speedo 85gl
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@verizon.net>

Doh! Right you are Mike... left *FRONT* wheel is where the speedo cable comes out, and that's what I meant to type.

At 12:26 AM 7/16/2005 -0400, Mike Collum wrote: >Hi Tim, > >Surely, someone will point out to the list that you really meant grease >cap in the center of the left FRONT wheel. > >See ya, > >Mike > > >Tim Demarest wrote: >>>Before you ditch that speedometer for >>>a low mileage unit, disconect the speedometer cable from the rear of the >>>speedometer and jack up the front drivers tire. Spin the tire and see if >>>the cable is turning at the speedometer.Then determin if there is enough >>>cable to go into the speedometer and meet with the socket inside.Have you >>>tried just spinning the speedometer with a drill or your hand to see if it >>>works? >> >>Another failure point is the point where the cable exits the grease cap in >>the center of the left rear wheel... if the little circlip breaks off and >>the tip of the cable pulls back inside the grease cap, the cable won't get >>spun by the wheel. >>If that's OK, and you still don't get the cable spinning at the speedo end >>when the wheel is spun, check the little clockwork box that turns on the >>OXS light in your dash every so many thousand miles. On the '85, this >>little mechanical marvel is found inline with the speedo cable, above the >>spare tire. I believe that this can be bypassed with a later model speedo >>cable, but I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't worked on any Vanagon newer than >>my '85. >>Good Luck! >>Tim