Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:00:12 -0700
From:         Loren Busch <starwagen@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Packing a '90 Westy

RE: Packing a '90 Westy Phil, there is no one -size-fits-all answer to your question. You will eventually find what works for you. But in the mean time you night throw these ideas into the pot. These are based on my own experience and the experience of others on the various lists. Common sense says that the items you will use the least or only under special circumstances should go into the hardest to get to storage areas like the little compartment down by the AC outlet. Also next to that is the 'hidden compartment' You get to that by lifting out the bottom of the right hand storage area just to the rear of the refrigerator. The 'hidden compartment' is great for spare parts, etc. or even for hiding things. I've always figured that border gaurds know all about it so be careful what you hide there! As for losing things in the hanging closet, welcome to the WWW (Wonderful World of Westies). Some people have put shelves in there. I use Space Bag type plastic bags for storing clothes, bed linen, cold weather gear in that area. Those are the plastic bags that can be sealed and when rolled up the air is squeezed out. They not only save some space but help organize things. One tip I've seen from those traveling with kids is to use plastic storage bins, one for each kid. Tell them they can take whatever toys, etc they want but are limited to what can fit into the storage box. And I know one adult couple that runs by the same rules, one box each for clothes, one box each for 'stuff'. Try to avoid the 'If one is needed I'll take two just in case..." syndrome. Unless really going way out into the boondocks, don't overstock on food and water. A couple of deep plastic pans like they provide hospital patients are ideal for washing dishes outside the van. Paper towels will have many uses, use and dispose of. Use the front luggage carrier and bungee or straps for the folding chairs, folding table, and other large items. A box or waterproof bag up there also helps. Bungee or strap in down. This is one case where using an extra strap or two can pay off, it's amazing what can blow off up there if not tied down right. I hope that some of this helps and I'm sure others will have many better suggestions.

Loren Busch '90 Westy the Starwagen