Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:23:18 -0700
From:         Chuck Blethen <Chuck.Blethen@SKREENZ.COM>
Subject:      Re: Traveling with a Laptop
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

John, If you want to travel with a laptop computer, check out www.roadnews.com - it has everything you need to know about staying connected while on the road.

You basically have 3 choices: 1 - dialup - this requires a built-in modem and the software for connecting the the Internet via your ISP such as AOL, Earthlink, Google, etc. 2 - Wireless - You will need a wireless card in your computer... that will allow you to connect to the Internet via the hotspots that are free around the country... Starbucks, some libraries, some airports, many small towns like Tempe Airzona offer free wifi connections. For those times when you do not have a free hotspot, I recommend that you get an account with TMobile - they are the widest used wifi service that I have found across the USA. 3 - Bluetooth - You can get a laptop computer that is Bluetooth compatible (or add a card to your computer to make it compatible). You will also then need a cell phone that is Bluetooth compatible... I own a Sony-Ericsson T616 that is bluetooth compatible AND it has a dual frequency chip in it so I can use it in Europe and Australia (where I go each year). This combination allows you to surf the 'net and do your e-mail anywhere you can get a cell phone signal... presently it is somewhat slower than dialup or wifi... about 9800 baud but very workable as long as you don't try to send or receive large graphic files. I see on the Internet that there are now several models of cell phones that are Bluetooth compatible...

I have the best of all worlds in that I had my Apple PowerBook G4 computer built with all 3 installed. Now I can stay in touch anywhere I travel...

Chuck Blethen - Owner Skreenz by Blethen Box 14524 Scottsdale AZ 85267 USA 480-225-8430 Phone

Chuck.Blethen@Skreenz.Com www.Skreenz.com

|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\ |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\ |xxxx SKREENZ xxxxxx\ |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx| |xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|

Protecting campers from flying insects for 20 years!