Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:38:14 -0700
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Questions about selector shaft seal replacemnet in a  DU
              transmission
Comments: To: Agent99 <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET>

I have first hand experience, so I guess I can respond...

On my 84 tranny, I removed the shaft as you indicated, by removing the cover anad then pulling the shaft out. Then it is easy to remove the shaft seal. Installation is also easy, you can use an appropriately sized deep socket to punch it in with a hammer. The only tricky spot is when you insert the shaft. Lubricate the shaft and the seal. With one hand, push in the shaft, with the other, hold the seal in place. On mine, when I inserted the shaft without holding the seal, the shaft pushed the seal out.

After that, reinstall the cover.

Agent99 <email99@BELLSOUTH.NET> wrote: I have a question concerning replacement of seals in a 1984 vanagon DU 091/1 speed manual transmission. The gearbox has 250K miles and operates very smoothly. There are no problems except for leaking oil from the shift shaft seal and the mainshaft seal. I don't know any of the repair history although it appears the bell housing has been taken off sometime in the past. My questions concern the shift shaft seal.

Can the shift rod seal be replaced without disassembling the transmission? It appears in diagram 34-1308 on page 35.38 of the Bentley Vanagon book (and also in diagram 34-1312 on the previous page) that the shift shaft can be simply removed by removing the coverplate after taking oft the shift shaft. Can the shift shaft be reinstalled by simply sliding it back in? Is there anything tricky to this?

My transmission (version DU) appears to have been manufactured in November 3, 1983. On Bentley page 35.60a a revised shift shaft and cover are described as being installed in vehicles manufactured after May 1984. The selector shaft cover modification is a "shoulder for spring to maintain proper position when assembling". Is installing the old version (that I probably have in my transmission) very difficult?

Can the shift shaft oil seal be just pressed in or is there some action that requires the special tool VW3077 (as shown in diagram 34-1322 on Bentley page 35.46). I don't plan to replace the bushing.

Please reply only if you have first hand experience. No speculation please.

Please reply to email99@bellsouth.net.

Thanks in advance. Ed Raleigh, NC

--------------------------------- Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page