Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:08:28 -0400
From:         Don in North Carolina <vanagondon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] lister needs help on the road - headlight gremlin
              in 86 westy
Comments: To: "JORDANVW@aol.com" <JORDANVW@aol.com>
Comments: cc: vanagon@yahoogroups.com, terrapincampers@optonline.net

On 7/19/05, JORDANVW@aol.com <JORDANVW@aol.com> wrote: > lister Jim King is on the road, and unsubbed from the list, he sent me a > P-mail asking if i could post this problem up to the list for him.. please > respond to all.. > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > fwd message: > Subject Electrical demon advice > Print E-mail > Please excuse my straight forward request for assistance, but I am using my > cell phone as a modem on my laptop from the road. > > 1986 Vanagon Sycro Westfalia VIN: VW2ZB0258GG082766 > > I swapped the low beam lamps a few months back and did not have any > immediate problems, > but I guess running on the back roads with the high beams on for 3 hours did > the trick, and I cooked the headlight switch. When I got to my destination the > switch was melted in the ON position, and I was forced to unplug the wires to > the switch to shut off the parking lights so I could camp for the night. This > morning I re-plugged the switch, and I'm just getting the parking lights, no > head lights at all. > The front & rear heater blower fans, and the front wiper/washer is also dead, > everything else appears to work. > Oddly if I pull back on the turn signal headlight flasher just the high beams > flash on. > I had a good (pre-tested) spare headlight switch along, and I am getting the > same results with it installed. > > All fuses are good (visual & meter tested) > > Before I dig any deeper here at the campground I figured to just ask the > group if anyone else has had this happen or has any ideas or work around? I have > the Bently book along for reference, basic tools & a soldering iron. > > I unsubscribed to the list for this vacation and hopefully just reactivated > my subscription. If you can send any replies directly to > terrapincampers@optonline.net it will make it much easier for me to retrieve msgs at the snail > speed this cell phone connection runs at. > > FYI: I'm on the way to the GrassRoots Festival in Trumansburg, NY via > Cooperstown so any parts sources, or even repair places along the way would be > appreciated. > > Thanks, Jim King > > 914-582-0272 Cell > terrapincampers@optonline.net

Jim,

Your ignition switch "X" contact (which powers the "X" or load reduction relay) is burned out. You need to replace your ignition switch (just the electrical part, P/N 171905865). I would recommend that you add the headlight relay kits offered by many of our list vendors, unless you like doing this every once in a while.

If you get to my area, I have a spare ignition switch!

For a "temporary, get me home" fix, you can install a fuse in a separate holder going from a power source (make sure you don't overload the source!) to the ignition switch Black/Yellow wire. I would recommend using at least a 20 amp fuse. Of course, you could use a switch, if you can find one that supports 20 amps...

-- Don in Reidsville, NC 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) "Why do they call it a fixed income, if mine is always broke?"