Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:04:10 -0700
From:         Kim Springer <kimspringer@RCN.COM>
Subject:      AC for my Doka - question at the end

I've been reading the exchanges posted to the list on all the AC issues out there. My first thought was to declare VW short of the engineering to make a successfull system. My second thought is that I have never owned any vehicle with AC that hasn't had an issue at some time or another, and it always seems to be something hard to find, but easy to fix. Then you have the 134 upgrades.

My Doka does not have AC, but I plan to install a system, soon.

I bought a complete Behr, in-dash unit, complete with compressor, etc. Today, I took it all, all laid out in the bed of the Doka, to the expert on AC locally.

His first response was that sorting out the nest of wires and trusting the relays that were included, was probably a mistake in time and effort. On top of that the evap unit is pretty large for the space under my rear seat.

We plan on using an off the shelf evaporator unit, 15000BTU, that has everything including the fan and AC switches, the relays, etc. in the unit. We'll remove these switches and run wires to the dash and use the stock VW switches. I'll install the condenser and the compressor, he'll make the hoses, do the wiring, and charge it up. I'll deal with the ducting of in-air and out-air.

I know this is too simple, right? Tell me what to look out for in this process. What did Behr and VW do in all the wiring that I'm missing in my plan.

Kim Springer '89 Tristar 2WD